Friday, December 13, 2013

Lessons from Generation X: Addendum 1

In the wake of my last post I received messages and comments from several people mentioning albums that they thought should make the top 10 90s alternative albums.  It's been really interesting to hear what everyone is passionate about so I decided to post this addendum listing some the albums that have been suggested.

R.E.M. Automatic for the People: I actually had a few people suggest that this was a gaping hole in my list.  I agree that it's a great album and it easily could have been included.  I think that I overlooked it because I was really into both Document and Green which were both 80s albums.

Jeff Buckley Grace:  I completely agree that this is a pivotal album from the 90s.  Buckley's reading of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" alone makes this an essential listen.  I actually listen to this album all of the time so I can't believe I overlooked it.

Tool Undertow: This is an interesting album.  It's definitely on the heavier side of things and could probably be considered heavy metal by some but it is a good album and I do think it holds up over time.

Rage Against the Machine (self-titled): Rage is one of those polarizing bands that you either love or you don't.  I sort of fall in the middle of that range where I like there music but it's not something that I listened to a lot back in the 90s or now.  With that said, I do think that they were really pivotal in bringing a lot of social injustice and political issues to the public eye and for that alone I think they deserve praise.  I will also say that their sound is totally original in a time when a lot of bands followed the mold of "grunge".

Metallica Self-titled aka The Black Album: I think that this suggestion really underscores how varied the opinions are on what classifies as "alternative".  While I consider this to be heavy metal or hard rock I undoubtedly think that it is a brilliant album (one that I have listened to fairly consistently since it's release).

Gun N' Roses Use Your Illusion I: Again, I think this would fall into the straight hard rock/rock category but it (along with Use Your Illusion II) are fantastic albums.

Ace of Bass Happy Nation:  This album sucked and I can't believe it was mentioned :)

Savage Garden (self titled): So did this one

Thanks for your feedback everyone!  I appreciate you taking a look at my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment